In 2021, India’s active internet users were 700 million. This was higher when compared to the previous year’s statistics. The explosion in internet usage led to an increase in fiber internet providers in India. Fiber optic internet is faster than any other internet connection, and fiber connections are more reliable when it comes to cable speed. However, there are advantages and disadvantages for fiber optic cables.
Cons include fiber fuse and the higher rates of investment in glass cables. However, reduced latency and high upload speeds are pros of fiber optic internet. Continue reading this article to know more about fiber internet connections.
Types of fiber optic cables
Fiber optic wires are thin strands of glass strands whose diameter is 125 micrometres, and it is similar to the width of a human hair. Several of these glass strands make up an optic cable. Optic cables are divided into two types based on their material. This includes plastic cables made of a chemical compound called poly (also known as methyl methacrylate). The other type is made of fine glass wires.
Fiber optic cables are called monomode and multimode based on the distance of transmission. Monomode fiber optic cables are used for long-distance data transmissions, while multimode cables are used for short-distance data transfer.
Fiber vs Cable Internet comparison
Follow this table to understand why fiber optic cable is more reliable than copper cable internet connections.
|Specification||Cable internet for streaming (Other cable internet)||Fiber optic internet for streaming (Excitel fiber)||Cable internet for gaming (Other cable internet||Fiber internet for gaming (Excitel fiber)|
|Speed||300 Mbps||200 Mbps||100 Mbps||400 Mbps|
|Reliability||Depends on each internet provider||Stable and consistent||Inconsistent||Highly stable and consistent|
|Cost||₹499 per month||₹424 per month||₹799 per month||₹599 per month|
Advantages of fiber optic internet connections include:
- Higher bandwidth – Bandwidth is defined as the data transferred for a specified time. In fiber optic cables, data is transferred through glass wires at the speed of light. As the information is passed in the form of light, there is no interruption in passing the data over long distances. This results in higher bandwidth in fiber internet connectivity.
- Increased internet speed – Bandwidth means how much data is downloaded or uploaded. While internet speed can be interpreted as how fast the before mentioned takes place. As bandwidth is higher in optical fiber connections, speed naturally increases.
- Increased long-distance transmission – Copper cables cannot be used for long-distance transmissions as they face electromagnetic interference. This interference occurs as there is unwanted noise in an electric path. Since copper is metal and copper cables are used for internet connections, electromagnetic force disrupts the data transfer speed. Since fiber optic cables use glass, glass fibers have no heavy loss. Hence, data transferred will be higher. This amplifies the distance information is carried. Therefore, fiber connections are used for long distance transmissions.
- Higher flexibility – The glass must be extremely thin to be bent. Glass cables used in fiber optic connections can be easily bent and not broken, as they are narrow in diameter but stronger. Since the fiber is soft, there will be no data loss in these cables. Because of this reason, it is always better to install fiber cables, as they do not melt at higher temperatures or break in case of earthquakes or any other large-scale destructions.
- Stronger security – As the data transmitted in fiber glass cables travels at the speed of light and since it is faster, it is not easy for hackers to steal information. Even if the fiber optic systems are tapped, ethical hackers can identify it at ease.
- Improved latency – Latency denotes the time delay in a particular system. Due to internal refraction in low quality glass cables, there can be latency. To add, there is no electromagnetic interference in fiber optic cables. Hence, latency will be less in fiber internet connectivity.
You will find Excitel when you are searching for fiber internet in my area or fiber internet near me. Head to our website to get the best quote for fiber internet for your business!
People also ask
How does fiber optic cable work?
A layer of glass called ‘cladding’ is wrapped on the central glass wires, increasing the fiber’s strength. When the data passes through these cables like light, at its own speed, it bounces off the walls without any data loss. This is how a fiber optic cable works.
Is it worth switching to fiber internet?
Fiber optic internet is 80 times faster than DSL connections and 20 times more than copper cables. Since it is faster, this might be expensive. Though it is costly, it does support the promised high-speed limit. Hence, you can always switch to fiber internet.
Which is the best fiber network?
The best fiber network must provide high-speed internet consistently at moderate rates, and the internet service provider must also satisfy its customer’s needs often. So, we urge you to look at Excitel’s plans before you decide to opt for fiber internet in your area.
Which Excitel plan is best?
Excitel’s bestselling plan is the 300 Mbps plan which offers great speed at nominal pricing, one of the best values for money plans on the market.