Everyone desires a fast internet connection. Before you choose the right internet service provider, you have to decide if you want fiber, cable, or wireless broadband. If you need help choosing between cable and fiber internet connection, continue reading this article to know which would suit you.
What is cable internet?
Cable internet is received through copper cables used for TV cable services. Cable internet is high. However, its upload and download speeds are relatively lower when compared to other internet services. It can support up to 500 Mbps, but some internet service providers cap upload speeds around 30 Mbps, no matter how much you pay. In India, more than 100 million households use cable connections. Though technology enables cable internet connections to be faster these days, modems used at homes do not support higher cable internet speeds.
What is fiber internet?
Fiber internet is obtained through fiber optic cables that contain glass fibers. These glass fibers are thinner than human hair, and transmit data at the speed of light. The glass cables are wound together and heavier than the standard copper cables. Fiber-optic internet is the fastest internet service available today, serving residences and businesses. While upload and download speeds vary in other internet connections, only fiber-optic broadband offers the same upload and download speeds.
There are three types of fiber internet namely
- FTTH or FTTP – This means ‘Fiber-To-The-Home’ or ‘Fiber-To-The-Premises.’ This connection is faster, as it is established directly to your home.
- FTTC – This ‘Fiber-To-The-Curb’ is connected to the pole outside your home, which is then carried through a cable to your home.
- FTTN – ‘Fiber-To-The-Neighbourhood’ is established through cables from a mile to your house.
Difference between cable & fiber internet service
|Copper cables transmit data in the form of electrical signals.
|Fiber-optic cables transmit data in the form of light.
|Copper cables are made of coaxial copper and plastic materials.
|Fiber-optic cables are made of glass fibers along with plastic.
|Efficiency is lower while transmitting data.
|Efficiency is higher while transferring data.
|Installation and other costs for cable internet are low.
|Fiber-optic internet demands higher prices, as they use glass and the speed is extremely high.
|Copper cables are highly disturbed by the external magnetic fields, which affects the speed.
|Glass fibers are strong and hence, the speed is uninterrupted, as there is no magnetic field.
|The maximum transmission is up to 10 Mbps only.
|Fiber-optic internet transmissions go up to 10 Gbps.
|Copper internet offers low bandwidth.
|Bandwidth of fiber internet is relatively higher.
|Cables are widely used in telephone internet connections.
|Fiber-optic connections are seen in aircraft, medical field and telephone connections.
|Coaxial copper cables are heavier and need a lot of effort to be installed.
|The installation is pretty simple, as the fiber-optic glass cables are less heavy.
Which is faster fiber or cable internet?
Internet service providers that offer cable internet offer a maximum speed of 500 Mbps, for homes, with certain limits. Meanwhile, fiber internet promises upload and download speeds of 1000 Mbps, and this proves that fiber internet is the fastest option. Fiber-optic cables provide faster internet because there is little disturbance due to the magnetic field, and the data is transmitted at the speed of light.
What are the pros and cons of cable and fiber internet?Advantages of cable internet
- Availability – About 85% of Indian households rely on cable internet. Cable internet has been widely available across Indian cities since the advent of the internet in the country.
- Affordability – Cable internet connections are affordable, as they come with a TV cable connection. You don’t have to spend too much on installation. Hence, many prefer cable broadband.
Disadvantages of cable internet
- Dependability – Cable internet provides only shared bandwidth. Hence, you might lose standard speed during peak hours by about 20 – 40%.
- Asymmetrical speeds – Asymmetrical speed is when the upload speed differs from the upload speed. Cable internet gives higher download and lower upload speeds, which will disrupt connectivity while you are playing online games.
Advantages of fiber internet
- Speed and reliability – Fiberglass cables are highly resistant to weather conditions and corrosion. This is the primary reason for receiving high-speed internet via fiber cables.
- Dependability – Data transmitted through glass fibers travel at the speed of light. Since there is no electrical signal, you need not worry about a power outage and voltage fluctuations.
Disadvantages of fiber internet
- Affordability – The initial costs involved in the installation services are higher for all the internet service providers. Hence, fiber-optic internet is more expensive than other means.
- Availability – Fiber internet is still developing; hence, many rural areas do not have access to fiber internet.
Who can you trust for fiber internet connections?
You might want a high-speed fiber internet connection, but many people hesitate to get on as it can be expensive. However, that has changed with Excitel, which allows you to enjoy high-speed streaming, gaming, and browsing. Head to our website and compare the benefits that Excitel offers in comparison with other internet service providers. We are sure your choice will be Excitel, as you can also enjoy free OTT subscriptions. Talk to our customer support team and choose the best plan for unlimited internet and fun!